DUI Arrests in Jefferson County
Jefferson County DUI Defense Lawyer
Although the particular circumstances may vary depending on the situation, there is a basic formula to a Jefferson County DUI arrest. Understanding the standard sequence of events can help a driver get a clear picture of what to expect, how to act and when to contact an attorney. In general we advise that you consult with a lawyer regardless of the situation – simply because it is better to take preventative measures than find yourself in a situation where you should have hired an attorney but did not.
We have included the basic outline of a potential drunk driving arrest in Jefferson County, Colorado:
- A law enforcement officer observes or receives a report of a driver who is driving erratically and may be “under the influence”.
- The officer pulls the driver over to the side of the road and asks for his or her license and registration. The officer will make observations at this point as to any outward signs that may indicate intoxication or drug use: bloodshot eyes, slurred speech, open containers, etc.
- Depending on his or her observations, the officer may ask the driver to step out of the vehicle to perform field sobriety tests.
- Field sobriety tests are administered to gauge a driver’s coordination, balance and ability to follow instructions.
- Depending on the driver’s performance on field sobriety tests, the officer may make an arrest for DUI.
- After arresting the driver and taking him or her back to the station, the driver will be asked to submit to a breath or blood test to determine his or her blood alcohol concentration. Refusing this test will result in the automatic suspension of the driver’s license.
- Depending on the blood or breath test results and the other evidence against the driver, he or she may face formal DUI charges.
Arrested for Drunk Driving? Call an Attorney!
One of the most important things you can do after a DUI arrest is to contact an attorney. You need to find out what rights you have and what can be done to fight your charges.
Contact a Jefferson County DUI Attorney today!